Monday, December 27, 2010

Copiah County Photograph Collection

Over thirty years ago I began asking questions about my relatives and ancestors on my mother's side, most of them being from Copiah County, Mississippi. While I worked in oil and gas exploration across the deep South, I looked up family records and relations along the way. This desire to know more about them and their history led to the publication of my first book, A Genealogy of the Slay Family in America in 1985. All of the research for that publication was done in the days prior to the internet and such resources as Ancestry.com.
The book allowed for many distant and distinct branches of the family tree to come together as a group of researchers and their continued work led to many fascinating discoveries in the years since. There is much updated and interesting information on the Slay Family available at sites such as
slayfamily.com
and
http://www.southerncampaign.org/pen/s16540.pdf
(Revolutionary War service pension application of Thomas Slay, Jr.) and others.
I was able to collect or make photographs over the years and feel that they should be available for others to see. This site will host this collection of scattered pictures of several of my maternal ancestral lines, such as: Slay, Stevens, Bass, Russell, Allen, Fulgham - all of which had ties to Copiah County, Mississippi in the 19th Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment