Monday, December 27, 2010

Alexander Slay and Alfred Slay, brothers

Two of the sons of Nathan Slay and Martha (Sumrall) Slay were Alexander "Sandy" Slay, and Alfred Slay. Alfred's name was just that: Alfred, not Alphia. Alphia was an unfortunate mis-spelling (by someone misinterpreting the pen-and-ink writing of that early time) that has been re-copied many times over the years since.
Alexander Slay married Elizabeth McLean, and Alfred married Nancy Collins. They settled in northern Copiah County, Mississippi. One of Alexander's daughter, Cornelia (a twin sister to Ophelia) born in 1850, married her first cousin, Thomas Jefferson Slay, a son of Alfred.
A son of this marriage was Philip "Phil" Alexander Slay, a man who knew and cared a lot about his ancestry. Below are photographs of Cornelia, Thomas and Phil Slay.










Cornelia Slay, married first Thomas Jefferson Slay, and second W. G. Bell.

















Thomas Jefferson Slay (1847-1885)

















Philip Alexander Slay of Copiah County, Mississippi

3 comments:

  1. My ancestor is Alfred Slay. His daughter Martha Elizabeth Slay married Wilson B. Cates. Their daughter, Mary Elizabeth Cates, married Nathaniel Tatum who was my great grandfather. I am just starting work on this line since I have spent a long time on the Tatums. Just wanting to connect with other Slay researchers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so exciting! Alexander Slay was my great-great-great grandfather!
      My ancestry continued through the line of Slay men, and my mother is a Slay, so he was her great-great grandfather! It's so neat to finally make connections and figure some things out!
      http://www.texbrowns.com/Slay2/getperson.php?personID=I13333&tree=Slay%20Family%20Tree
      This is a website created by Slay descendants which I came across a few years ago. I was questioning the accuracy of the information but it is right on point! It's nworth checking out :)

      Delete
  2. My name is Webb Armstrong and I am the current owner of the Slay house which I think was built by Alexander Slay. My moms father was a Mathews The son of Carson B. Mathews It's my understanding that Mr Slays son Elija married Mrs Lucy who married a Matthews after he died in the war.

    I am looking for data on the house which is still standing I am considering trying to revive the old house. My grandfather was born in the house and died in the same room he was born in. I grew up just miles down the road

    Any information pictures etc that any might have can be emailed to
    Webbarmstrong@gmail.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete